“From the Inn we could walk to several really good restaurants and we enjoyed a late night stroll back from one place where we met people for drinks on Saturday night. The whole area was lit up with Christmas lights along the main road and it was very romantic.” Debora from Duxbury, MA
Here are a few of our favorite ideas of what to do during your stay at our Cape Cod inn:
- A sunset stroll on the magnificent boardwalk which heads out into the Bay at our local Gray’s Beach. The views are stunning from this tranquil nature-lovers haunt. In the spring you may be lucky enough to see the ospreys perched on their nest, and even get a glimpse of the chicks.
- A short walk before breakfast, down our historic, leafy Summer Street, to the beach at Dennis Pond. You may choose to take a cool refreshing dip before returning to the inviting aromas of Helen’s breakfast.
- Take the afternoon whale-watching trip from Barnstable Harbor, a 10 minute drive from the inn, and return to watch the sun set over the Harbor from the deck of the Mattakeese Wharf restaurant, sipping your favorite pre-dinner cocktail.
- Follow the nature trails which abut the grounds of the inn, visiting historic Kelley’s Chapel and Gorham Cobblers Shop en route. Take a well-earned rest over lunch in the tavern of the Old Yarmouth Inn. Afterwards, a five minute walk will take you to the Edward Gorey House and Museum and Captain Bangs Hallet’s House. Complete your afternoon with a visit to Parnassus Book Store, which is right across the street from the inn. There you will find an Aladdin’s Cave of literary treasures to keep you fascinated for hours.
- Drive east on the Old King’s Highway to Orleans, taking time to stop at Brewster General Store. As you head up towards Provincetown visit the National Seashore and Visitor’s Center. A few miles further north take a detour to Wellfleet village and harbor. After a walk on the magnificent unspoilt beach treat yourself to lunch at the Wellfleet Bookstore. Sample their much acclaimed oysters and seafood, while looking out over the Bay from your table on the terrace.
- Fly to the island of Nantucket from our local airport, just 10 minutes away, and enjoy stunning views of Cape Cod and the Islands. Spend time exploring the historic cobbled streets and quaint stores of downtown Nantucket before having lunch at The Brotherhood of Thieves restaurant. After lunch relax on the wharf and watch the world go by. An excellent addition to your Cape Cod travels.
- Take in a little salt air while exploring the back streets of Yarmouth Port, which lead down to the Bay. Follow Thacher Shore Road to the bridge, and then wander back along the King’s Highway, visiting the local art galleries, antique and specialty stores on the way.
- Take the early ferry from Hyannis, just 10 minutes away, to Martha’s Vineyard for the day (we’ll pack you an Inn at Cape Cod ”to go” breakfast to enjoy on board). Explore the island’s charming towns by moped, bike or rental car, or simply relax on one of the many beaches.
- Take an afternoon drive to the Mass Audubon’s Long Pasture Wildlife Sanctuary in Bone Hill Road, Barnstable, which is only 1.5 miles from the inn. Follow the grassy trails, passing by buttonbush swamp, salt marsh, ponds and other habitats which make this 110 acre sanctuary a haven for many species of wildlife. The trail ends with spectacular views over Barnstable Harbor.