Cape Cod is renowned for some of the finest beaches in the world, including the unspoilt 40 miles of beach of the Cape Cod National Seashore. We have some beautiful beaches within minutes of the inn and the following are just a few of these:
- Dennis Pond is a fresh-water lake in a beautiful setting, and has a fine sandy beach with lifeguard (in season), and clear warm water. It is only a 5 minute walk along our leafy Summer Street.
- Grays Beach is our nearest salt-water beach with its magnificent boardwalk stretching out into the Bay. It is a nature lovers paradise, and the sunsets from here are not to be missed.
- Dennis Beaches are within 10 minutes drive. They comprise Chapins, Mayflower, Corporation and Howes Street beaches. They are all very pretty and ideal for swimming.
- Atlantic Ocean Beaches are on the south side of the Cape, and many are within 20 minutes drive. They are typically steeply sloping and straighter beaches, with more surf.
Nature preserves and trails:
- International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) – Mike & Helen are delighted to have IFAW’s international headquarters just a mile away at the other end of Summer Street, and hope that guests will take the time to visit their new Visitor’s Center to appreciate the incredible work IFAW does around the world.
- Historical Society of Yarmouth Nature Trails ramble through 100 acres of nature preserve, and adjoin the grounds of the inn. You may follow them down to Dennis Pond.
- Massachusetts Audubon Long Pasture Wildlife Sanctuary: Trails with spectacular views of Barnstable Harbor, and is only 1.5 miles from the inn.
- Massachusetts Audubon Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary has miles of salt marsh, sandy beach, pine woodland, fresh water pond, and rare heathland attracting a wide array of wildlife, especially songbirds and shorebirds. There are scenic trails and a beautiful butterfly and hummingbird garden.
- Cape Cod’s Natural History Museum, Brewster, has many fascinating exhibits and offers educational workshops on nature’s ecosystems. There are also many trails to explore.
- Cape Cod National Seashore comprises 43,557 acres on Outer Cape Cod. There are fine ocean beaches, historic landmarks, nature trails and two Visitor’s Centers with exhibits.
- Nickerson State Park has woodland, trails and eight crystal clear fresh water ponds. You can hike, bike, canoe, swim and birdwatch.
- Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge provides important nesting and feeding habitat for migratory birds. It has an amazing diversity of wildlife and plant species.
Bike Trails and Rentals:
- Cape Cod Rail Trail: 26 miles of paved surface with relatively few hills. A tapestry of cranberry bogs, pine groves and ocean views.
- Chatham Bike Trail: an 8-mile extension of the Rail Trail.
- Nickerson State Park: a further 8 miles of trail connected to the Rail Trail.
- Bike Rentals:
– Cape Cod Rail Trail Bike & Blade (508-896-8200)
– Barbara’s Bike & Sport Equipment (508-760-4723)
There are a number of guided and self-guided tours, as well as kayak rentals, available at many locations on Cape Cod. These are some of them:
- Osprey Sea Kayak Adventures (508-240-1211)
- Bass River Cruises/Howie’s Kayaks (508-362-5555)
- Castaways Marine (508-255-7751)
Boating & Charter Fishing:
- Bass River Charters (508-737-3162)
- Cape Cod Sailing Charters (508-398-0638)
- Hyannis Marine (508-790-4000)
- A-1 Sportfishing – Malsie-B (508-362-9719)
- Aquarius Fishing Charters (508-362-9617)
- Blue Fish Charters (508-385-7265)
- Cape Cod Bay Charters (508-362-1249)
- Cape Cod Family Charters (508-776-0350)
Cape Cod has more golf courses located within half an hour’s drive of each other than any other US destination, with the exception of Myrtle Beach. The following are all within 15 minutes of the inn:
- Kings Way Golf Club (508-362-8870) Par 59
- Bass River Golf Course (508-398-7079) Par 72 Rating 69.3
- Bayberry Hills Golf Course (508-394-5597) Par 72 Rating 71.7
- Blue Rock Golf Course (508-398-9295) Par 54 Rating 56.4
- Dennis Highlands Golf Course (508-385-8347) Par 71 Rating 70.4
- Dennis Pines Golf Course (508-385-8347) Par 72 Rating 71.9
- Hyannis Golf Club (508-362-4551) Par 71 Rating 69.4